Grilled Goat?s Cheese Salad
- 150g x 2 of Goat’s cheese (we used Fivemiletown Cooneen Goat’s Cheese here)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- A handful of fresh parsley, minced
- 2 red peppers
- 2 yellow peppers
- 1 lemon
- 80g packet of Rocket
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Good olive oil
1. Grill the peppers; as soon as the pepper has blackened, place the pepper in a cellophane bag and seal it( 10 minutes), setting the bag aside. Perform this process for each pepper. The pepper should get soft and the stalk/seeds easily removed. Using your fingers rub the charred skin from the flesh and set the cleaned pepper aside. Repeat this step for each pepper.
2. Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3.
3. Slice the roasted peppers into tapering 2cm-wide slices and place these segments into a deep bowl.
4. Add the minced garlic, the zest from a lemon, the minced parsley and enough olive oil to cover the peppers in oil.
5. Set the covered, marinating peppers aside for the duration of the recipe.
6. Remove a thin slice from the top and bottom of the goats’ cheese log to reveal the creamy cheese.
7. Slice the remaining goat’s cheese into 2cm deep discs (we just cut the Coonen log into two).
8. Use a blowtorch, place the discs in an oven-tray and flame the top of each disc until the cheese has a deep brown crust.
9. Place the goats’ cheese into an oven tray, brown-side upper most, and place in the oven. Be careful at this point – watch the cheese as it cooks – you want a soft cheese but not a runny one. When the goats’ cheese begins to bubble at the base of the cheese, remove the tray from the oven.
10. Place a handful of the rocket onto your plate and arrange the roasted pepper segments on top of the salad leaves, making sure that you get plenty of the minced garlic, lemon and olive oil.
11. Using a spatula, carefully lift a disc of goat’s cheese on to these pepper slices.
12. Sprinkle the dish with some freshly ground black pepper and serve.