Hot Bloody Mary Soup
- Hot bloody Mary soup
- 1kg ripe tomatoes - cut into halves
- 2 red chillies - halved and seeded
- 10g/2tsp castor sugar
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 750ml of vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons horseradish sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons vodka
- 4 small celery stalks with leaves
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 thin lemon slices - as a garnish
1. Pre-heat oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 4.
2. Place the tomatoes cut-side up in a large roasting tin with chillies and sprinkle with sugar and salt and pepper.
3. Drizzle with oil and roast for 30 minutes until soft and lightly browned. Puree the roasted tomatoes in a blender with a little stock until smooth. Transfer to the pan.
4. Stir in the remaining stock and the tomato puree and heat gently without boiling.
5. Stir in the horseradish, sherry and vodka.
6. Serve the soup in bowls garnished with celery stalk, lemon slice and fresh ground black pepper.